Lasso Alumni Activities
Our organization is small, but in the true Lasso tradition of working together for the betterment of the current Lassos and Thomas Jefferson High School, we accomplish a lot.
During 2020, we accomplished the following:
- Supported the Lassos and accepted their invitation to rope and perform pom routines behind them in the Heritage Parade on February 1, 2020.
- Continued writing and editing our book, “The Lasso Legacy — Then and Now More than Roping.” (We’re getting closer to publishing!)
- Raised $4,540 during the Big Give Campaign with donations from 52 supporters.
- Held a Membership Social at Deco Pizza to recruit new members and mingle with current members.
- Increased Lifetime Membership by ~13 percent from 109 in 2019 to 123 in 2020.
- Participated in the TJHS car parade for graduating seniors.
- Awarded four academic scholarships to graduating Lassos totaling $6,000.
- Presented scholarship certificates, LAA one-year membership certificates and Lasso rope pendants to graduating seniors.
- Gifted graduating seniors with Deco Pizza gift cards in lieu of senior banquet.
- Surprised Lassos with spirit bags for football games.
- Supported the Lassos during the District Spirit Assessment and competitions with meals.
- Encouraged Lariats with rope visits to encourage new Lasso candidates.
- Assisted in roping training and sold ropes to Lasso applicants.
- Supported our Lassos by purchasing Monticello yearbook and football program ads.
- Sold beautiful 2020 Fiesta Medals, even though Fiesta was cancelled in 2020.
- Membership Chair initiated a phone tree to connect with our members during COVID and update their information.
- Attended class reunions to further raise awareness of the TJHS LAA and our mission.
- Provided financial aid to Lassos for uniforms and dance wear.
- Held monthly board meetings via teleconference due to COVID restrictions.
- Participated in our first ZOOM meeting with the 2020-2021 Lassos as a team builder and mentoring opportunity. The Lassos organized this fun virtual gathering!
- Gathered wonderful raffle prizes for our Pre-Fiesta event which was cancelled due to COVID.
- Posted numerous successful social media posts to keep our membership connected and engaged throughout the year.
- Provided two extra big ropes and 1 extra Texas Skip rope to the Lassos.
- Purchased two mannequins for displaying uniforms in the Lasso Dance Hall.
- Arranged for spur stops to be added to officer boots, polished boots and replaced boot heels.
- Revamped the LAA website and updated our newsletter to an online blog titled the “Lasso Roundup.”
- Arranged and received matching contributions from USAA via USAA Serves to the TJHS Lasso Alumni Association.